Sunday, February 21, 2010

Amy Williams holds back tears at emotional Vancouver medal ceremony


Amy Williams shows off her Winter Olympics gold medal after the ceremony in Vancouver. Photograph: Fabrice Coffrini/AFP/Getty Images

Amy Williams promised to toast her Olympic skeleton gold medal with "a sip of champagne" after being presented with it in front of a cheering crowd at the Whistler Medals Plaza.

Williams held back tears as the Union Jack was raised over a Winter Olympic podium for the first time since Rhona Martin's curling team took gold at the Salt Lake City Games in 2002.

But she admitted she had shed tears earlier in the day, when she paused to view internet footage of her brother and twin sister cheering her home on TV in the local pub in Bath. Williams said: "I'm going to have a sip of champagne tonight but I'm going to save the party for when I get home. I did have tears when I saw the scenes at my local pub. It really choked me up."

Williams insisted the experience of being awarded her medal in such a public way had scared her and her two German rivals, who won silver and bronze, far more than throwing themselves head-first down a 90mph ice track.

She added: "All three of us were just shaking before going on. To have the medal now is just incredible. I didn't think I would get a medal – I was just hoping to do better than my training runs.

"I've been in a bubble since I won and it feels like it's got thicker. It feels a little bit more real now that I'm holding the medal. I've had a message of congratulations from the Prime Minister and the whole thing is amazing."

Source:guardian.co.uk/

No comments: